Friday, April 1, 2011

a missing part of my life

April 1st 2008 was the day my world changed forever. 

The day my Dad died was a day I will never forget, both for the good and the bad.
My father was the best man I will ever know! He taught me to love unconditionally, to be the best person I can be and to always tell those I love how much they mean to me.
I have so many memories of time we spent together- working in the garage, home improvement projects, fishing, crabbing, Sears, driving around in the truck with Johnny Cash as loud as it would play and every little girls favorite time-- weekends on the drilling rig.
There was never anything my father wanted more for me than to be happy. His death spurred a lot of changes in my life- many for the good (and at the time some not the best). But the changes I made in my life led me to where I am today. After his death I decided that it was time to make the changes in my life that I wasn't happy with. It was hard, and it was painful. But it was all for the best.
Today I can look at my life and know that my father would be so proud of me.
Not having him on my wedding day to walk me down the aisle broke my heart- but knowing that he would have LOVED Doug makes me so happy. I wish that they would have had the time to know each other (Doug may be the only guy who could actually take my Dad's jokes and maybe even throw some one-liners back his way!). 
There have been many emotions I have felt during this pregnancy- happiness, fear, joy and sadness. My Dad was so excited for the day that I would someday become a mother and it kills me to know that he will not be present to share in our joy. The day we welcome Brooks into our life will be the happiest day ever- but there will be one person missing. The small amount of time my nephews Seth and Blake spent with "Grandpa Cliff" was awesome. I hate that they are so young that they will likely forget these memories over time, but we will be here to remind them.... 
Clifford John Sheehan, Jr. (11.20.1943 - 04.01.2008) you will never be forgotten. 
I love you Dad!!


No comments:

Post a Comment